Friday 7 October 2011

Pam Dodd's story...

Pam Dodd is a trustee for Age Cymru, a charity that works with older people in Wales. She also works for the Institute of Fundraising Cymru and it was her expertise in this area that led Age Cymru to ask if she would like to be a trustee.

She says:
The best thing about being a trustee is having the opportunity to have an oversight of the charity’s work and strategy as it progresses. It is very satisfying being part of the strategy which as a trustee you are far more than being hands-on on the ground. I have really enjoyed working on the development of Age Cymru’s fundraising plans and I think it is important to have a trustee with fundraising expertise on any charity trustee board.

“I’ve also learnt a lot since becoming a trustee, including the importance of listening to each trustee’s contribution. I also feel it’s very important to understand the charity’s staff and know what they are doing so there are no nasty shocks. You really need to know what’s happening on the ground.

“I would definitely describe trusteeship as a demanding interest. It is a big responsibility. I think Trustees’ Week is an excellent idea, and I would encourage all trustees to acknowledge the campaign.”

No comments:

Post a Comment