Wednesday 26 October 2011

Gillian Reeves' story...

Gillian Reeves is an external trustee of the University of Exeter Students’ Guild. Due to changes in charity law the Guild became a registered charity last year and its trustee board consists of four elected student trustees, four external trustees, all of whom are alumni of the University, and four sabbatical officers who represent the Guild on behalf of students on a day-to-day basis.

Gillian says:
“The great thing about being a trustee of the University of Exeter Students’ Guild is knowing that I am part of an organisation that has the welfare and interests of students at the fore front. This is especially important during the ongoing changes within Higher Education and the worsening economic situation in the country. Being a trustee has enabled me to reconnect with my university and has given me the opportunity to make a new set of friends and meet interesting young people who will further flourish after their time at Exeter, and hopefully allow themselves to think about becoming a trustee for another charity.

“The Guild benefits from the range of skills and experience that their trustees bring, but I have found that I have developed new skills that I can bring back into my professional life such as analysing financial information.

“I would highly recommend becoming a trustee as it is a fantastic opportunity to contribute to society and your community. Trustees’ Week is a great idea; hopefully it will encourage younger people to consider becoming a trustee of a local charity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment